What are Cookies?
What are cookies and why are they important for user experience?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user's device.
Cookies do lots of different and useful jobs, such as letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, helping us understand how our website is used and generally improving your online experience. They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests.
What type of cookies do we use?
Generally, our cookies perform up to four different functions:
Some cookies are vital for the operation of our website. Without them you would not be able to move through the website and use some of its features. Essential cookies enable information you provide and decisions you take regarding your rental to be remembered from page to page in the booking process. Because these cookies are essential, we do not enable you to choose to disable them on our website.
- JSESSIONID will remember you from page to page.
- systemKey stores an identifier that identifies the Hertz website you are on.
- UniqueCounter unique id for communication with Hertz systems.
- DC-Cookie used to route you to the correct server.
- AKA_POS AKA_Lang AKA_Dialect AKA_POS, AKA_Lang and AKA_Dialect are used to route you to the most appropriate server based on your geographical location.
- dGroup remebers what device the site is being accessed from (PC, tablet, phone) to display the appropriate content.
- NSC_wttm_xxx.ifsua.dp.vl used to send requests from the same user to the same server
- cp_session used by the Hertz Help system; the cookie is set by uk.custhelp.com, who provide the system.
- cookie_pref remembers your settings for accepting cookies from the Hertz website.
- remember the location, dates and vehicle you have chosen.
- remember your country of origin and language throughout your visit to the Hertz website.
We may use functionality cookies to allow us to remember preferences you have requested in previous visits and changes you have made to customise the site to your liking.
We use performance cookies to analyse how our visitors use our websites and to monitor website performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customising our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise.
For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor. All information collected is aggregated and therefore anonymous and is only used to improve how our website works.
- __utma __utmb __utmc __utmz __utma, __utmb, __utmc and __utmz are used by Hertz to collect information about how visitors use the Hertz website. Hertz use the information to report on the use of the website and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where vistors have come from and the pages they visited.
- mmcore.tst Checks if you accept cookies.
- mmid mmcore.pd mm_prsnl mmcore.srv these cookies are set by Hertz in conjunction with Maxymiser. mmid, mmcore.pd, mm_prsnl, mmcore.srv are all used to be able to serve different users different content on the Hertz website. This enables Hertz to test different versions of the website before committing to a change, to display the website best suited to the users.
- s_cc s_sq s_campaign s_cc, s_sq and s_campaign are cookies set by Hertz for the Adobe SiteCatalyst / Omniture reporting suite. These cookies differentiate between different users of the website and see what they are doing and what they look at on the website. These cookies enable Hertz to take and analyse visitor information such as browser usage, the number of new visitors, the number of pages viewed per visit and responses to marketing activity It enables Hertz to identify and understand any issues in your journey through our website as a customer. The data we collect is centred around improving the experience for our customers. Having this information helps Hertz to identify the sections, functionality and products on the website that are working well and are useful to our customers, as well as those that aren't working so well, so we can improve your car rental experience.
- track which pages have been visited
- track which error messages may have been seen
- track which products have been bought
- various cookies Hertz uses various advertising cookies to track the effectiveness of Hertz advertisements on 3rd party websites. The cookies set can vary over time.
- track what advertisements for Hertz you may have clicked on before you came to this website
Hertz use Doubleclick banners to show you offers and messages relevant to your visit to the website. These banners are set by Hertz and are only displayed on the Hertz website, or in emails you may receive from Hertz regarding a reservation you have made on the Hertz website. To opt out of Doubleclick cookies, please visit: www.google.com/ads/preferences/html/opt-out.html
“Share” links to facebook, twitter and similar:
When you use one of the share buttons on a Hertz website, a cookie may be set by the service you have chosen to share content through. Hertz does not control the setting of these cookies and the Hertz tool will not block cookies from these websites. You should check the relevant website for more information.
Hertz may embed videos from YouTube. Pages with this embedded content may present cookies from YouTube.
Please visit www.google.com/ads/preferences/html/opt-out.html